Wednesday, May 18, 2011

This Week In Golf - Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial

Last Year

Zach Johnson shot 65-66-64-64 to beat Brian Davis by three strokes. Ben Crane and Jeff Overton tied for third place.

Fantasy Breakdown

Players to Think About

Matt Kuchar: I really like Matt Kuchar this week. Kuchar had his worst tournament of the year last week, a tie for 54th at TPC Sawgrass. Kuchar’s track record at Colonial isn’t the best either, he tied for 56th last year. So why am I picking Kuchar? He ranks 3rd on tour in scoring average and 7th in the all-around ranking. I have a feeling Kuchar bounces back this week and posts a top 15 score.

www.cbssports.com
Pat Perez: I am not a huge fan of Pat Perez, but it’s tough to ignore his history at this event. Perez has three top 10’s in his last three tries at Colonial. He has also posted three top 10’s in his last five events this season. Perez is a must-have on your fantasy lineup this week.

Zach Johnson: There was no way I could keep Zach Johnson off the list this week. He won here last year by three strokes and has been playing great lately. Two consecutive top 10’s and a victory here last year should mean that Zach Johnson will be in the mix on Sunday.

Players to Stay Away From

http://tucsoncitizen.com
Hunter Mahan: It kills me to put Hunter Mahan on the list this week and I expect him to prove me wrong. But, I can’t ignore Mahan’s history at Colonial. He has never posted a top 25 here in seven tries. Hunter is playing great golf right now, but you may want to avoid him this week and save your starts for other tournaments.

J.B. Holmes: J.B. Holmes hasn’t missed a cut all year and is coming off of two consecutive top 10’s. However, Holmes missed the cut both times he played at this event. What worries me is that J.B. wasn’t playing well coming into both of those tournaments and he is playing well coming into this one. I think he will make the cut this time, but I don’t expect another top 10 from J.B. this week.

Adam Scott: After playing great golf at the Masters, Adam Scott has slowly slumped again. Scott missed the cut last week and has five consecutive rounds in the 70’s. I think it is due to the putter. He has always been a solid ball striker, but Scott usually struggles with his putter. The short stick was great at the Masters, but he averaged 30 putts per round last week. If Adam Scott can’t get his putter going, it might be another missed cut for him this week.

My Picks

David Toms: David Toms finds himself on my list again this week because he continues to play great golf and place in the top 10. It’s very simply why Toms is on my list this week. He has five consecutive top 25’s, he ranks second on tour in driving accuracy and greens in regulation, and he tied for 13th at Colonial last year.

www.pgatour.com
Stewart Cink: Stewart Cink is a safe play this week. I don’t think Cink will be top 5, but he is almost guaranteed to finish in the top 25. Cink has four consecutive top 25’s at this event and has never missed the cut.

Steve Marino: Steve Marino is a gut feeling for me this week. He missed the cut here last year, but finished in the top 10 the two years before that. He has played fairly well in his last two tournaments and I have a feeling Marino is going to be in contention on Sunday this week. I am pulling for Steve Marino to get his first PGA Tour victory at Colonial this week.

Booth’s Golf Tip of the Week – How to Win a Scramble

See next post.

stats from www.pgatour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment