Monday, May 16, 2011

Last Week In Golf - The PLAYERS Championship

K.J. Choi beat David Toms after Toms 3-putted the first playoff hole. Paul Goydos took third place losing by two strokes. Luke Donald and Nick Watney tied for fourth place.

3 Up

David Toms: David Toms had the lead late on Sunday, but couldn’t close the deal. Even though the pressure seemed to get to Toms, he had another solid week. Toms tied for first in driving accuracy and was fourth in greens in regulation. Toms has three top 10’s this year and is a consistent play every week.

http://pga-golf.findthebest.com
Jason Day: Jason Day is showing that he is one of the best young players on the PGA Tour. He has three top 10’s in a row, including a tie for second at the Masters. He ranked in the top 25 in all the major statistics last week. Look for Jason Day to keep rolling and have some more top 10 finishes in the near future.

Hunter Mahan: Even though he hasn’t won yet this year, Hunter Mahan has six top 10’s out of twelve tournaments and is putting together a nice season. Mahan is a player that could win any week. His stats last week weren’t overly impressive, but Mahan still found a way to place in the top 10 again.

3 Down

Tiger Woods: Tiger Woods was disappointing again last week. I thought he would play well after his good showing at the Masters, but I was mistaken. Tiger was six over after his first nine holes and withdrew due to injury. I thought Tiger was close to winning again, but after his bad play and banged up knee, I think he is moving in the wrong direction.

www.sandbox8.com
Jhonattan Vegas: Jhonattan Vegas burst onto the scene this year after winning the Bob Hope Classic and taking third at the Farmers Insurance Open, but I think it was a bit of a fluke. I’m not saying that Vegas isn’t going to be on the tour for a long time, but he isn’t going to be at the top of the leaderboard every week either. Vegas has missed five cuts in his last six tournaments; I think he has come back to reality.

Anthony Kim: It’s been an odd year for Anthony Kim. He started the year strong coming back from an injury, but has played poorly in the last few months. Kim has one top 20 and four missed cuts since February. I am a big fan of Kim and think that he is going to be a great golfer for a long time, but his game is off right now.

Fantasy Breakdown Results

Players to Think About (1-2-0 ; 3-5-1)

Phil Mickelson (Loss): Phil couldn’t seem to get anything going at TPC Sawgrass and finished in a tie for 33rd. It’s not a terrible tournament for Phil, but I was expecting a for sure top 20 finish. I wouldn’t be worried about one mediocre week; Phil is still one of the best in the game.

Luke Donald (Win): Luke Donald did exactly what was expected, another top 10 finish. That is now seven in a row. I am still saying that Luke Donald is playing the best golf in the world right now.

Ian Poulter (Loss): I knew Poulter was a hit-or-miss type of pick last week. I had a feeling that Poulter was going to make some noise, but he ended up in a tie for 57th. Poulter never broke 70 last week and had a tough time making birdies.

Players to Stay Away From (3-0-0 ; 6-1-2)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk
Dustin Johnson (Win): Dustin Johnson continues to slump. Johnson didn’t break 70 all week and tied for 57th place. Dustin is one of my favorite players and should be back into top form in the near future.

Bubba Watson (Win):  Bubba Watson has been playing great golf this year, but this just doesn’t seem to be his venue. Bubba did make the cut last week and had two good rounds. But his 76’s on Thursday and Saturday ruined Bubba’s chances of competing for another victory.

Charles Howell III (Win): I expected Howell to miss the cut last week and he did. Howell shot 73-74 and is now 0-for-4 at making the cut at the Players in the last four years.

My Picks (1-2-0 ; 4-4-1)

Tiger Woods (Loss): My pick of Tiger Woods was probably just wishful thinking. Deep down I knew Tiger’s injuries and poor play were going to continue, but I didn’t want to believe it. I think Tiger withdrew because he was six over, not because of his knee. I think his knee was bothering Tiger, but if he was a couple under par instead of six over, he would have still played. I miss the old Tiger Woods and so does the PGA Tour.

Ben Crane (Loss): Ben Crane’s week was just a shock to me. After three straight top 10’s at TPC Sawgrass, I thought Crane was a lock this week. Crane was off to a good start after a 68 on Thursday; however, a 76 on Sunday ruined all hopes that Crane was going to contend. If Crane shoots a 70 on Friday instead of a 76, he would have tied for 12th instead of 45th. One bad round cost Crane the tournament.

Sergio Garcia (Win): Sergio had me worried after his opening round of 74, but his 65 on Sunday helped Garcia finish in a tie for 12th place. Sergio needs to work on his consistency, but he continues to shoot good rounds every tournament and make cuts. I am liking Sergio Garcia this year.

This Week's Record: 5-4-0
Overall Record: 13-10-4

Stay tuned for "This Week In Golf – Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial"

stats from pgatour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment